|Olathe East's Jordan Brown takes home|
Player of the Week honors after a stellar
effort against BV North. Photo KC Star.
The Pioneers claimed a major victory against Lawrence in the district opener -- one that sets them up well to get through the district and into the playoffs.
The Vikings snapped their losing streak with a solid confidence-building win against SM North. The 333 rushing yards are more in tune with what SM West needs to do to win.
The Hawks have been kicking butt and taking names lately. The way the team is coming together it really makes you wonder, is this the year Jeff Meyers finally gets his ring?
For a few weeks there it looked like LHS had reverted back to their 2005 form, pounding opponents with a relentless rushing attack. Two losses later they will struggle to make the playoffs.
The Raiders' playoff chances took a major hit, and basically require they win out (by 21 points in each game) to make the postseason.
I've seen Olathe South play live and on TV quite a few times through the years and their performance against Gardner-Edgerton was easily the worst I've ever seen from them.
Week Seven Players of the Week
Jordan Brown, Olathe East: Brown had perhaps the most impressive performance of any league running back this season this past Friday. He carried the ball 15 for 218 yards a four touchdowns in a winning effort.
Venus Triplett, Olathe North: Olathe North's latest dominant running back has been on a roll since week three. This week he had 16 carries for 165 yards and four touchdowns.
Week Eight Power Rankings
1. Lawrence Free State (6-1): The Firebirds claimed their 100th win in program history against Wyandotte, and they can claim a share of their second Sunflower title this week with a victory against Leavenworth.
2. SM East (6-1): With a share of the Sunflower League title in hand, the Lancers will look to regain the Nut Cup from one of their most heated rivals in SM West this week.
3. Olathe North (5-2): The Eagles' young roster has officially jelled. Now comes their biggest test of the season: slowing Traevohn Wrench and a Gardner-Edgerton team that's playing just as well of late.
4. Olathe East (5-2): It seems like every year the Hawks plays BV Northwest and head coach Mike Zegunis (a former Olathe East assistant), and it seems like every year Olathe East wins this game.
5. SM West (4-3): The Vikings have completely dominated the last two decades of Nut Cup games with SM East, but this year's matchup will be one of the few times they enter as the underdog.
6. Olathe South (4-3): The Falcons have gone 1-3 in their last four district games. They can still turn things around and make the playoffs, but it's going to take a complete effort this week against Olathe Northwest.
7. SM South (3-4): The Raiders need to beat BV North by 21 or more points this week. Beyond that, they'll be rooting for a BV Northwest victory against Olathe East to force a probable winner take all game in week nine.
8. Leavenworth (3-4): It would say alot about the Pioneers if they could come out and play Free State close. With two wins in three weeks, and a boatload of confidence, they're playing well at the right time.
9. Olathe Northwest (3-4): The Ravens continued with yet another week of inconsistent play. They've never beat Olathe South, but it's do or die time so this would be the year to do it.
10. Lawrence (2-5): The Chesty Lions aren't out of things yet. They'll need to win by 21 or more this week against Wyandotte, and then deliver a colossal upset in the Battle for Lawrence in week nine.
11. SM Northwest (1-6): The Cougars actually benefited from playing SM East first, as they can make up ground these next two weeks. But it won't be easy winning two of two after only winning one of seven.
12. SM North (0-7): The Indians' current losing streak stands at 17 games. It will end, eventually, but if it doesn't end in the Hula Bowl this week, it will probably extend into 2014.
Well deserved, Jordan Brown....way to go!!!
Just putting this here: Marcell Spears now has 2 interceptions and Jimmy Swain 11 sacks on the season!
In case ON stats are late
Post a Comment