Four teams from the Sunflower League played EKL teams in the first week of districts, and three of those teams lost. Olathe East, SM South, and Olathe South all fell at the hands of their EKL neighbors to the East, while Olathe North felt more pressure against Blue Valley than they had all season long.
**Olathe North's James Franklin ran the ball 29 times for 241 yards and two touchdowns against Blue Valley. Franklin is racking up arguably the best season a running back has ever had in Sunflower League history.
**Lawrence Free State's Camren Torneden bounced back from an awful game against Olathe North by scoring five touchdowns--three by ground, one by air, and one on a punt return--in helping Free State to a 55-0 victory over Leavenworth.
**Cullen Phillips of Olathe Northwest rushed the ball 20 times for 96 yards and two touchdowns in his team's win. The totals aren't among the best we have seen all season, but Phillips effort was crucial to the Raven's momentum meter throughout the game.
Week Eight Power Rankings
1. Olathe North (7-0): The Eagles played lackluster defense against Blue Valley, but ultimately it didn't matter--Olathe North's offense was simply overpowering.
2. Lawrence Free State (5-2): The Firebirds collected their token victory against Leavenworth and now must prepare for their 0-7 rival Lawrence High.
3. SM West (6-1): The Vikings are looking more and more impressive by the week--shutting down Matt Nowak is no easy task and the Viking's defense did just that Friday.
4. Olathe East (4-3): The former assistant got the best of the Hawks on Friday but the playoffs are still very likely for Olathe East.
5. Olathe South (4-3): For once Olathe South's defense outperformed their offense. However, the six offensive turnovers were too hard to overcome.
6. SM Northwest (4-3): The Cougars suffered a tough defeat at the hands of their rivals, but their power running game did show well and will probably be utilized quite a bit in the next few weeks.
7. Olathe Northwest (3-4): The Ravens (above) are on a high; lets see whether or not they are capable of playing at that level for more than one week.
8. SM South (3-4): The Raider's loss to Blue Valley North was a poor showing from the team who had been playing well of late.
9. SM East (3-4): The Lancers collected a nice win over SM North, but now face the tall task of SM Northwest and SM West is consecutive weeks.
10. SM North (2-5): The Indians, like the Lancers face a difficult slate to end the season. A good time to insert some miracle victories would be now.
11. Lawrence (0-7): The Chesty Lions could win out and make the playoffs, and with rival Free State and winless Leavenworth on the schedule, never say never.
12. Leavenworth (0-7): The Pioneers still have two weeks to make a memorable statement on the season.