The Pioneers (right) finally snapped their 21-game losing streak that had stretched back to October of 2008. On top of that, if the team can win one of its final two games they will make the playoffs.
Olathe South has now won five straight games and their running game is firing on all cylinders. The Falcons could do some damage if they make the playoffs.
The Vikings hold the longest winning streak in the Sunflower League at six games. The team has claimed a share of its fourth Sunflower League crown in six years and can win the league outright with a win on Friday.
The Indians' lone score against their most heated rival came in the fourth quarter against SM Northwest's reserves. Also, with Leavenworth's win, SM North now holds the longest losing streak in the Sunflower League at 14 games.
Olathe East's previously impeccable defense looked pedestrian on Friday, surrendering 312 passing yards and two touchdowns through the air to a 1-6 Blue Valley West team. The Hawks also struggled to control the lead, and didn't have the game until late in the fourth quarter.
The Chesty Lions' mid-season heroics looked like a thing of the past during their performance on Friday. The team is in a must-win situation against Olathe Northwest on Friday.
**John Schrock led SM East to victory completing 15-of-19 passes for 209 yards and two touchdowns, while also rushing for 56 yards and three touchdowns on nine carries.
**SM Northwest's Stephen Mangelsdorf was nearly perfect in his team's 28-point victory, completing 11-of-13 passes for 133 yards and three touchdowns, and also adding a rushing score.
**Olathe North's Adonis Saunders and Victor Simmons (right) played at their state champion caliber Friday, combining for 334 rushing yards and four touchdowns on 25 carries.
Week Eight Power Rankings
1. Olathe East (6-1): The Hawks' victory was all too close for comfort and a similar lapse in the defensive secondary could prove costly in the playoffs.
2. Olathe North (6-1): The Eagles looked dominant on Friday, and it appears that Victor Simmons is coming out of his slump.
3. SM West (6-1): The Vikings didn't pass their first big game test against Olathe North; their game this week against SM East will be the team's second big game for proving their worth.
4. SM East (6-1): The Lancers' game against SM West is probably the team's biggest game of the season, for multiple reasons.
5. Olathe South (5-2): Olathe South is now playing like one of the top teams in the Sunflower League.
6. Lawrence Free State (4-3): The Firebirds tumultuous schedule continues this week against Olathe North.
7. SM Northwest (3-4): SM Northwest's easy slate to finish the season should give them a big boost of momentum heading into the playoffs.
8. Lawrence (3-4): A win Friday would set up a huge week nine matchup against Lawrence Free State for a playoff berth.
9. Olathe Northwest (2-5): The Ravens' loss against Lawrence Free State may have been the death knell on making the playoffs.
10. SM South (2-5): The Raiders have decent talent, but they just haven't been able to put things together this season.
11. Leavenworth (1-6): Take a breath of fresh air, Pioneers. You're finally out of the cellar (at least for this week).
12. SM North (0-7): Needless to say, things have not gone smoothly for the Indians this season; however, they have two very winnable games to end the season which could qualify them for the playoffs.
Photos courtesy the Leavenworth Times and the Kansas City Star